Snacks are essential between diets. If they are healthy they can benefit a diabetic as well as a normal person. It ensures that our body get sufficient fuel. Itís said that a diabetic patient must have something after every 2 hours. As, it helps in managing your blood sugar level.
Carbohydrate impacts the blood sugar level most. According to many dieticians, there should be 20-30 mg carbohydrate in their snacks. But, it can vary according to person. People with type 2 diabetes must check their calorie intake as they need to lose weight. And, the people who are in good shape must concentrate on carbohydrates they intake. You can eat anything in diabetes even sugar but, it must be in check and given in portions. Too much of sugar may be extremely harmful to the diabetic patient.
Set an alarm: –
Eating throughout the day may lead to weight gain. Intake of too much carbohydrates and calories can negatively impact your blood sugar level. So have a scheduled snack time. For that set up an alarm so that you donít miss your snacks even if you are busy.† People who want to lose weight avoid evening snacks. But, according to studies a diabetic patient is benefitted by eating after dinner. A bedtime snack will encourage your liver from pumping out glucose.
How to satisfy your cravings?
- Fibre and grains: – Fibre is very good for health. It can prevent the risk of cardiovascular diseases, lowers cholesterol and it also regulates grehlin level, hormone which stimulates hunger. It is a form of carbohydrate. But, it is not completely broken down in glucose, like the starch in sugar. Diabetic patients must have whole wheat products. They can also add some peanut butter as topping.
- Proteins: – Aprotein in your snack is more satisfying. Well you can have yogurt, itís high in protein. You can add some carrot, celery and broccoli in it.
- Berry: – choose fruits which have high fibre content like berries. You can half a bowl full of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. You can also have apples. You can even add these fruits with yogurt and make it into a smoothie. It is tasty and a flavourful snack.
- Chocolates: – The darker thebetter,chocolate. As it has more flavanols, antioxidant that can prevent cardiovascular diseases and certain types of cancers.
- Green or diet Tea: –Diet Sweet Tea controls blood sugar,reduces obesity & enhances energy & stamina. It is beneficial for B.P. Patients which is enriched with vitamin A & C. It is very good natural antioxidant.
- Customized snacking: – patients can consult to dietician and make a customised plan according to them.They can make the plan according to their likes and dislikes.
You can also eat almonds and dried cranberries. One tip you should follow is that never eat directly from the packet take a bowl or dish. If you will directly eat from the bag itís guaranteed that you will end up eating more. You can also have a vegetable soup.
Consult your doctor or dietician before having these in between snacks. As, he will tell you which snacking approach you should follow. Keep your blood sugar level in control by these effective healthy snack options.